Thursday, February 12, 2009

Are Spam Filters Keeping You From Getting a Job?

About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment.
Josh Billings 1815-1885 American Humorist and Lecturer

Today I am "Benchmarking" My colleague and friend Mark Haluska, Co-Author of "The Guerilla Marketing for Job Hunters" and the new "Guerilla Markaeting for Job Hunters 2.0" available from Amazon April 2009.

If you or someone you know is seeking a new position and use AOL, Yahoo, Earthlink or similar then potential career opportunities could be passing you by. I know of no less than 40 hopeful job seekers I personally have tried to e-mail within the past months with email accounts that, when I tried to contact them by mail, I have received a generated auto response stating that I will need to obtain special permission from that e-mail account holder to accept my mail. Now it's not just our firm who has dealt with this nuisance, as I also know of Corporate Recruiters and other Executive Search Professionals such as myself who have also experienced the same problem when trying to reach candidates who possessed these mail accounts. Some of the recruiters I mentioned above have actually been reported by the IP as being SPAMMERS ! All they were trying to do was contact a job seeker to make a quick introduction or check on their current employment status. Many times these inquiries do not justify modifying our schedules, unnecessarily working late into the evening or playing 5 rounds of telephone tag just to get permission from a candidate to accept our mail. Unintentional as it may be on a candidates part, talk about setting up road blocks. I have also tried on numerous occasions to contact a job seeker with a Earthlink account and then hear back from them months later. It turns out my mail did in fact reach the recipient, but the message went directly into their Spam Box and was only discovered by accident long after the opportunity was gone. Granted, Spam is a problem, but if you are a hopeful job seeker, you could be missing out on potential job opportunities; and therefore may want to consider using another e-mail provider or if possible modify your Spam Filter settings. In the current market conditions you have to be able to take advantage of every possibility, and having job opportunities discarded or automatically put in a spam filter could just possibly make the number two candidate for a job number one.
Hopefully this helps you remove a hurdle in your job search you hadn't considered yet. Be sure to check out my website, add comments to the blog and send me questions. I look forward to doing what I can to help.

Regards,


John
Vice PresidentCareersPro, Inc.4625 Virginia Ave • Fort Wayne • IN • 46808Phone: 260-482-1200 • Email: John@careerspro.com
Check out the *only* job search system that gets you hired, or it pays you back DOUBLE -
http://www.careerspro.com/program.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment